Monday 28 November 2011

Differences

Things I do differently, now I'm a chemo patient.

1. Shopping (food)

This would involve whirling around the supermarket, pushing a trolley that became increasingly full, until it was difficult to corner. I would fill it with squashable stuff that would mean it was almost impossible to put large heavy things into it; like wine and bottles of pop, that always seem to be in the very last aisle!

Now, when I am on a "good week," (week 3 of the cycle) I wander, rather than whirl and sometimes have to have a rest when I have finished. For a week to ten-days following chemo, it's an online shop. Usually though, my very amazing husband Tim does it.

2. Shopping (Clothes)

How I love proper, girly shopping trips. I have been known to arrive at Meadowhall at opening time and mooch around; shopping/coffee/shopping/lunch/shopping/coffee, etc. until almost closing time.

Now... Much more coffee, far less mooching!

3. Work

I love to work. Always have done. I frequently work long hours, carry on at home and at weekends. A usual day begins at around 08:30 and ends any time between 18:00 and 20:00. Well, it did, and still does on good weeks.

I am very lucky to have a boss who is incredibly understanding and this helps more than I could explain. On week one, I work from home, punctuated with naps and I work when I feel up to it and as dictated by my steroid-affected sleeping patterns - if this is from 9:00 pm until 01:00 am, so be it. Week two will find me arriving at around 09:30 am, as I cannot rush around in the morning; it takes me longer to get going. I also need to be dropped off and picked up again because I struggle with the walk up the hill to the car park. If I have to take this on, I end up stopping halfway taking huge interest in the window of the bag and shoe shop, (any excuse) while I catch my breath.

4. Wash my hair.

Previously, I did this in the shower. John Frieda shampoo and conditioner, mousse, drying, gel spray, shiny spray and the lovely smell of hair products.

Now, I take my hair off and brush it. Then, I fill the kitchen sink with hot water and add fabric softener, I like Comfort Pure for this. I then swirl my hair around in the water, before lifting it out and rinsing it. It is then hung to dry in the laundry room, with the lovely smell of freshly-done washing.

There are many other little things I do differently now, such as writing EVERYTHING down, having to concentrate intently on conversation - I am so easily distracted, I can forget what I'm saying, halfway through a sentence! I know many people talk about about "chemo brain" and I can definitely confirm its... Ooh there's that lovely Colin Firth chap on my tellybox... What was I saying?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

  1. Love to read these as the humour still shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is much to be said for drinking more coffee and doing shopping online especially with Tim pulling more of the weight on that! Hopefully you'll have time to smell the roses once you get to do your John Frieda hair routine in the shower again too : much love and big hugs to you Tracy xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello love, another post to make me gulp a bit. It doesn't, however, tell me when is a good time/week to call you...also, could you use Lenor instead of Comfort? For me? Ta.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your lovely comments.

    Sorry Christine, we had to switch because Betty was reacting to Lenor :(

    ReplyDelete