Sunday 4 December 2011

Something is Better Than Nothing.

Support is so incredibly important when fighting cancer. I have said on Twitter, quite often, that I cannot properly explain how much every single message of support helps. It really does though.

The positive energy that comes through with every kind word, even if just to say, "Hey, thinking about you!" is incredible. It is almost tangible, I can feel it holding me up, carrying me along and it helps me to stay positive and able to keep up the fight.

Negative energy brings me down enormously; I'm not saying anyone should walk on eggshells around me or not be who they are. I do believe that I need to handle negativity better though; I can't expect everyone around me to paint a smile on all of the time - especially not my children. When they play up and I tell them off, their telling me I'm the worst Mom in the world, is normal. I'm glad they don't have "Mom has cancer!" right at the forefront of their minds all the time. That would be just awful.

I am blessed with wonderful family and friends, especially my husband Tim, who has the daunting job of keeping everything together and does so remarkably.

I am fortunate to have people who understand that cancer does not define me. They have rallied fantastically. I know some people are frightened of "the C-word" - almost as if they think they could catch it if they say it. In my experience, it is worth the risk of saying the wrong thing, rather than saying nothing. Even saying the wrong thing, shows you care enough to say something! As Martin Luther King Junior said:

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

And that, is the truth.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Tracey, This is amazing. I love that MLK quote, it's going to be my new favorite. I love your quote maybe more, "Even saying the wrong thing, shows you care enough to say something!" Yours is something I've said quite often.

    Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete